Wednesday 26 January 2011

Birthday (Treorchy 1950)

A gentle haze settled over the valley.
The crowded bracken flowed in a warm summer breeze on the mountain slopes.
The chattering streams were silenced.
The trees bent and whispered secrets - shhhhhhhhhhh...
And the fritillary on heated stone fanned slowly counting time.

'Sian ....... Sian'

Working hands, pitted and scarred brushed back a tear......

'Sian'

The track clawed at the hillside, fighting for a hold,
And at the gate he paused - panting through dust-filled lungs, 

'Sian ....... my Sian'

A buzzard circled high searching for prey,
And the matching goldfinches paused, plucking thistles,

He knelt slowly by the small, ivy-covered grave.
And a hushed whisper - so quiet,

'I've remembered your birthday... Sian'.

note: Sian - pronounced 'Sharn' may be translated as Jane


(1970)


Treorchy, South Wales, UK



1 comment:

  1. Hello My name is Adrian Meredith and I am wondering how I could contact you in regard to the public use of this pome? My phone number is 07516351268. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete