Wednesday 2 March 2011

John Alias Smith, aged twelve, blind at birth.

I live in the dark world, bottomless and pitch-black.
No ray of sunshine penetrates my darkness.
No winking star brightens my night.
An endless night.

Green flowing waves, gently lapping the sleeping meadow are lost to my eyes;
A crimson sunset, as the warmth goes to bed and rests for the coming morn;
The crystal clear laughing stream sharing a joke with hart's tongue fern,
But failing to cheer the willow who bends and weeps;
 Green delicate coiled ferns,
Unwinding to keep time with spring, 
And the black and white wagtail conducting Nature's choir.

Yet at times, I see more than any man with eyes might see.
The gentle rippling wind that caresses my cheek on a summer's day,
The sun's smile that warms my soul,
And the delicate perfume that Nature has made for my delight.
No light enters my world, 
But still I see God.

(1963)

*John was born blind but on entering a monastery, John Smith became 'Brother John', hence the  'Alias'.



No comments:

Post a Comment